Monday, September 16, 2013

did you hear?

An American woman won the Miss America 2014 crown last night.  Period.  I participated and watched Twitter as the evening went along.  I had my favorites (Go Miss #ArmyStrong Kansas, and Miss Minnesota made it to the Top 5).  I even joked a little when the talent was showcased, trying to do so in a nice way, as some were either very nervous or clearly not trained in voice.   

And then....

Miss New York is crowned.

Twits started twittering about ethnicity.  Name-calling, blaming a culture, getting down-right ugly and rude.  Quite frankly, I no longer wanted to be a part of the social media that wasn't seeing the beautiful woman before us who was just crowned. 

Deserving.
Gorgeous.
Talented.
American.

On the Today show website this afternoon, they're also trying to address aforementioned subject.  So very sad, what people will do and say in this day and age.  Haven't we overcome these barriers?  Will we ever see one another through love's eyes?

"I have to rise above that," she said, according to the AP. "I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."
 


Congratulations, Nina, Miss America 2014!  You are very desrving of the title. You represent American women.  I know you will use your ""celebrating diversity through cultural competency" platform to educate so many who will obviously need educating during your reign.

Kudos.  Blessings.  You've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment