Thursday, March 25, 2010

Embrace it.

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.                                                                                                                                    ~ King Witney Jr.

How do you deal with change?  Do you retreat?  Fight it?  Accept it or challenge it?  If there's one thing I've learned growing up it's that change is constant.  I seem to recall that back in the day we were not taught to embrace change.  It was something to be feared.  The unknown is scary, I get that, but change is good.  And by golly, if we're not changing, we're dead.

I'm not one for confrontation.  I guess that's why I steer away from the whole political debate going on right now with health care.  Sure, I have my opinions, but I'm not sure that by voicing them in a negative manner they will hold any more weight than they do right now inside my brain.  Our elected government officials, try as they might, are not acting in a bipartisan way.  I'm actually not sure I'll see that ever in my lifetime.  The bickering and finger-pointing just gets downright old.  I haven't watched the news in weeks.  Months, maybe.  I can't stand the negativity of it all.  So instead, I pray.  I pray for those who need God's guidance in this debate.  For those who are ill and need someone to have a heart and heal them with their medical knowledge and skilled hands.  But most of all, I pray that this Country (tis of Thee) will get a grip...  and realize that change is constant...  change is good.  And to meet somewhere in the middle to unite on these issues is far better than continued bickering!

Reality is setting in now, as the focus shifts from the political fight to the substance of this reform. The benefits are tangible. Parents with sick children will soon be entitled to buy coverage at a reasonable cost. Insurers will be forbidden from canceling coverage for those who fall seriously ill, or to impose lifetime limits on their care. Most important, 32 million Americans who can’t afford insurance today will get coverage.
Yes, the reform will force wealthier people to pay higher taxes. And its success hinges on controlling costs, which will take years to unfold. But the discussion is heading back to the planet Earth. On that ground, Democrats who supported this reform will do just fine.
                                                                                                                               source

No comments:

Post a Comment