Thursday, June 4, 2009

Oh, the long summer ahead!

I've already read a couple of blogs with children being naughty.

My husband said the boys were pushing his buttons today. Day one.

13 weeks. They have off over three months before they return to school and they will be ready to go back in 5 weeks... so will we be ready to have them go back!

Did we do this to our parents? I remember my mother shooing me out the door and I had to find something to do until meal time. I would get on my bike and ride through corn fields, hang with my BFF (although that wasn't an acronymn back then) and did my best to stay out of mischief. What happened to being creative, finding play dates that were within walking distance and being satisfied with being anywhere but AT school? A couple of years ago I instituted the "if you say the B word, you get the C word" during summer. In kid talk, if you come to one of us and say you're Bored (and yes, we've heard it already) then you get a Chore. Let me tell you, it works.

I have their days planned for at least half of their summer break, but the rest of those days will be up to them to fill with happy memories. With two working parents and children who need to be entertained, it could make for another long summer. If you're reading this and have any suggestions, I'm listening!

We will be setting up play dates, field trips and bike rides as a family... but in between, boys, you'll just have to

....GO PLAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment