Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Spring Band Concert 2016

One of my favorite nights in the spring - the band concert!  Brings back so many memories and I just beam with pride from the audience that both of my boys have stuck with playing since 5th grade.  My music teachers made such an indelible mark on my high school years.  I honestly don't know if I would be the person I am today if it were not for their tutelage and sharing their love of music with me.



I recorded one selection from each band of last evening's concert.  Henry plays in the Symphonic Band and is in the first video below.  This is an auditioned band of juniors and seniors. They have such an awesome sound.



Equally impressive is this group of freshmen who have come far in their instrumental lives in five short years.  I pray that they also continue through their high school careers to enjoy music and share their passion with us. Oliver has signed up once again for his sophomore year and will also return to marching band in the fall.


Sharing their life-long love of playing, the Plymouth Concert Band performed a few songs for the audience and then joined both high school bands on stage for the finale, The Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa.

It always gives me goosebumps, a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat to hear this one played.


Maybe it's being a Vietnam Vet's daughter and having served myself, or also having played this song quite a few times in both high school and military band... but by 2:25 in this video, I always think everyone should be standing and have the same tears in their eyes and lump in their throat as I do... I always find myself looking around and wondering if it's only me.

Until next year...  when they will be a sophomore and senior {gulp} in high school bands!

I hope that you enjoyed just a small part of our daily lives.  I am thrilled to be able to video and share with friends and family, near and far, who could not make the concert - thank you for supporting our boys, and music in our schools, in big and little ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment