Thursday, May 27, 2010

Uncle Jim's Cabin

My Uncle's Cabin is on the market.  Sure, I know I will always have the memories and it's not mine to hang onto, but it's a sad, sad thing to see it go.  I had hopes of bringing my boys down there this summer or next, now that they can finally swim without assistance, and share in the fun times I had as a kid ~ creating memories for them in the process.

This is the view from the boathouse. The place we learned to jump as kids, learning to do it without fear or else be pushed into Lake Burton 20 feet below.

Silly Uncle Jim.  He would take us on boat rides.  Teach us how to water ski in this lake, oh so patient was he.  We learned to make home-made ice cream here and played with his 8-track cassette machine (ancient as it seemed).

We would take long walks through the winding, unpaved, Georgia-red-mountain roads.  A short drive into the little nearby town and it felt as if we had walked into a German time-warp!  [Edited to add name and link of little German town - Helen, GA.  Thanks, Mom] There were trolls and candy, burgers & lots of fun to be had for young and old alike in that town.  Not far away is a drive to the river rapids and Blue Mountains as far as the eye can see.

 See the troll atop the barrel under Norwegian flag?

Oh, the memories.

When I was pregnant with Alek in 1992, I took a drive down to the cabin and stayed a week with my Mom.  It was a very relaxing time.  So serene.  Sunshine and solitude.  That was my last trip to Georgia.  Alek got to return again as a teenager on a trip with Grandma and Grandpa.

If only it were closer and we could pool resources to purchase this as a family cabin.

Ah, sweet little ol' cabin in the woods, I will miss you.

I am thankful that I got to experience all your charms & wonderment over the years!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cabin! I'd be sad too. Hang on to those memories.

    ReplyDelete