Friday, September 25, 2009

What a glorious day the Lord hath made...

I survived another birthday.  No wait.  What I meant to say was, I celebrated another birthday!!  I took the day off from work, as I do every year, and spent the entire day in celebration.  After we kicked the kids out the door to school, we headed to the Aveda Institute for a rejuvenating facial.  Awesome.  Ninety minutes of luxury that I rarely afford myself the time or expense to indulge.  It was JP's first time and I think he's hooked too!  We both upgraded during our service to include a micro-dermabrasion and came out positively glowing on the other side. 

Afterward, we walked over to Whitey's Saloon in NE Minneapolis for a bite to eat.  JP enjoyed a nice-sized salad and I had a Monte Cristo with raspberry dipping sauce.  I was a MC virgin, I must admit.  But at least now I know that I am definitely not a fan.  At least now I can say I tried it...  however, there's something wrong about powdered sugar on a soggy sandwich.  The combination just doesn't seem appealing to me.  The ambience was a sight to take in as well...  large, scantily clad lady towering overhead with a No Smoking sign dangling from her hand...  and what seemed like the regular lunch crowd.  All in all, a good morning.

Caught the movie, Julie & Julia with my mother in the afternoon.  Nice show.  Meryl Streep placed a very convincing Julia Child.  It was good to get out and meet up with Mom.  After all, it's her day to celebrate my birth too!  My favorite line from the movie is one that Julia Child said as she toasted her husband, Paul:  "You are the bread to my butter, the breath to my life."

For dinner we picked up take-out from Jin's Chow Mein in the Crystal Shopping Center.  Four out of five us now eat Chinese (Oliver still refuses)...  so to feed a hungry family for under $25, it's a deal not to be missed.  Dessert was out on the patio for JP and I.  He smoked a cigar and we enjoyed a night cap and brownie.  And for those of you keeping track, yes, this is the second meal that we had not prepared at home in one day.  It's a bad week for the wasitline.  What's the old saying, "A waist is a terrible thing to mind" ~ well, let's just say the diet starts next week!  We are going out for dinner again on Friday night and Saturday night to continue the birthday celebrations.  This is how I cook for JP.  Ha.  By making reservations.

I managed to take Chloe for two walks too!  She was a happy little puppy when she heard her collar jingle more than once!  I put on my new Nike+ipod tennis shoes and walked over a mile around the school.  The weather was perfect.  Well, my definition of a perfect day:  76* and partly-cloud.  Thanks be to God.

Throughout the day I also received countless birthday wishes on my Facebook page, as well as emails and gifts left behind on my desk at work.  Ah, the good life.  I am blessed.  I am loved.  Thank you to all who remembered me and celebrated with me, however near or far.

Side note:  I have my youngest convinced that a woman ages backwards, while a man ages forward.  So because I am such a convincing mother, they now think that I am 28.  Well, Oliver does. Sorry JP.  You're not getting any younger on Sunday.

life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog design, and the pictures of the trio of boys. Nice!

    Have never tried Jin's, will have to do that soon.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete